AntiLog RS232 Serial Port Data Loggers
High Performance RS232 Data Logging Solutions
Current revision: V8.0b (Dual channel and Multi-unit release)
Logging Important RS232 Data
- Do you need a low cost, reliable way to log RS232 serial port
- Looking for something small, portable, low power and light
weight to slip into your pocket and easy to use?
- Need to record binary, ASCII or a mixture in any format you
want with no resolution or formatting issues?
- Would like to log from one or two pieces of equipment at
the same time, but don't want to use PCs or Laptops?
- Don't want to worry about losing data because the recorder
battery has run out?
- Need to just switch on and leave the equipment data logging for
several days at a time?
- Just want to push an 'On' button to do the lot instead of
running application software?
- Don't want to wait for your system to 'boot up' each time you
just want to log something?
- Want to initialise your equipment in the field but don't want
to bring a PC or Laptop with you?
- Need to log a large number of serial port sources all controlled
from just one serial port connection?
Then the AntiLog range of solutions is the ideal way to record
your RS232 data without requiring a PC or laptop computer. In use
throughout the world, this simple to use, high performance data
logging solution simply plugs into your RS232 data source and
is ready to log data immediately.
AntiLog Key Features
- Available in boxed or OEM form factors.
- Very low power operation.
- High capacity storage capability (supports up to 1TByte).
- Easy to use so trials can be performed by non-technical staff.
- High performance, e.g. full rate recording at 921,600 baud (AntiLogPro).
- Baud rates: 300 to 460,800 (600 to 921,600 for AntiLogPro).
- Uses the most comprehensive terminal configuration menu system.
- Can record and playback up to two independent channels simultaneously.
- Powerful time stamping options, even for full eight bit binary data.
- GNSS NMEA sentence filtering and sub sampling options for each channel.
- Single or dual channel event recording.
- User output commands, equipment polling.
- Real time playback (even for dual channel output).
- Option to simulate up to two independent GNSS receiver outputs whilst recording.
- Wide power source operating range from 4.5V to 18V.
- No need for "config jumpers", "setting switches" or media configuration files.
- AntiLogPro OEM units can combine into one large multi-unit data logger all controlled from just one serial port.
- Built in bootloader allows new embedded software upgrades via the internet.
All you need to get you started is an RS232 serial port terminal
application on any platform to allow you to see and interact with the
built in menu system. Serial port terminal applications are readily
available including our free AntiTermPro PC based application
from Anticyclone Systems Ltd which has been specifically designed to
support all of the AntiLog product range and features including data
retrieval and multi-unit operation.
For a more complete description of AntiLog's capabilities, please
take time to view the following product information sheet for the
current AntiLog embedded software release:-
See the upgrade release history for AntiLog products here.
User Friendly Operation
Simply push the 'On' button to start AntiLog recording your serial
port data. Hold the 'Off' button down to stop a data logging session
and switch the unit off. Simply switch on and off like this to
continue RS232 data logging as you require, data will be appended to
the store - it's as easy as that!
You hold the 'On' button down for more than a second to put the
unit in playback mode. In this mode, you can configure the system to
your needs. A menu system appears which you can view and operate
using any serial port terminal application. With this menu system you
define exactly how AntiLog handles data recording and playback. This
is how you set recording and playback serial port settings, recording
and playback modes (e.g. 'real time') and all other options.
While in playback mode, simply push the 'On' and 'Off' buttons as
many times as you want to start and stop data replay. You hold the
'Off' button down for more than a second to switch the unit off as
You are not restricted to playing back data at the same baud rate
it was recorded. You can also optionally embed recorded time tag
information in playback data streams. All settings are non-volatile
so you only have to set them once even if all sources of power are
Low Power Consumption
There is no need to transport an enormous power source around with
you because instead of consuming hundreds of milliwatts or more of
power, AntiLog can record RS232 data happily for days on a single PP3
battery. As an example, AntiLog uses typically just 58mW (including
media power consumption) to record full rate continuous binary data at
9,600 baud and around 90mW at 115,200 baud.
All AntiLog units have the ability to dynamically reduce power
consumption based on baud rates in use (less than 115,200) and data
stream content. AntiLog units consume less power if no RS232 data is
being received or transmitted. This means AntiLog is ideal for
recording GNSS/GPS NMEA receiver data which is generally transmitted
at a rate significantly less than 115,200 baud with gaps between
AntiLogPro is an advanced version of the original AntiLog
design available as a boxed or OEM module with dual channel
data recording as standard. It provides the following
(Media card part extracted)
- Very high performance. Full rate recording on one channel
at 921,600 baud or up to 460,800 baud on two channels
- Fully configurable RS232 line management including
individual line inversion and power saving options.
- Logging of digital logic line states (inputs protected to
- Baud rates supported: 600 to 921,600 and user defined.
- Transfer settings from one unit to another simply by
connecting them via a NULL modem cable and pressing the
- Selectable "Ring Buffer" storage method to
retain the most recent data.
- Assign any of the three (OEM) or two (boxed) hardware
serial ports to the recording, playback and menu system
- Onboard real time clock with battery backup.
- Combine many units as one (multi-unit support, OEM only)
- GNSS navigation receiver simulated output option
available (simulate up to two channels of GPS NMEA for
user defined locations in real time).
- Hardware 1PPS synchronization output signal for accurate
timing applications (OEM only).
See the upgrade release history for AntiLog products here.
AntiLog vs AntiLogPro
The following table describes the main capability differences
between the AntiLog and AntiLogPro hardware design variants when
running V8.0 of the embedded software.
| Capability || AntiLog || AntiLogPro
Number of hardware serial ports supported
|| 3 *
Maximum supported baud rate (each channel)
Maximum full rate single channel data logging (baud)
Maximum full rate dual channel data logging
(baud per channel)
Battery test voltage indicator (maximum)
Pins that can be used as logged digital inputs
|| 9 *
Bi-colour LED state indicators
User invertible RS232 lines (e.g. for direct CMOS
Selectable “ring buffer” storage method
One Pulse Per Second (1PPS) output time stamp reference
|| Y *
Transfer settings between units connected via
NULL modem cable
Dual channel simulated GNSS receiver output
option (option 'G')
Multi-unit support using third Auxiliary port
|| Y *
* Requires OEM version of the product to gain access to extra
pin header connections.
The fully boxed product comes ready to use. Use our OEM modules to
embed a high quality, single board, RS232 data logging solution into
your own application. The OEM modules are built to last in demanding
situations. They use robust surface mount construction and measure
only 50mm x 60mm. The AntiLog OEM module is functionally identical to
our boxed product but it allows direct access to the removable FLASH
media (socket mounted under the card) and allows direct access to CMOS
The OEM boards only require the addition of a power source, two
push to make switches ('On' and 'Off' buttons) and a bi-colour LED
(two for the AntiLogPro variant) to realise a complete RS232 data
logging solution. You can use the standard 2.54mm pitch, header to
interface directly to your application. The pin header for example,
allows direct connection with OEM equipment (e.g. OEM GPS receivers)
which require RS232 signal connections at CMOS levels.
For completely unattended use, we offer a Forced Power hardware
option (the 'P' option). With this option, you simply apply power to
start data logging and remove power to stop logging. Apply and remove
the power as much as you want to append data to the store. This
option is ideal in applications where user interaction is not
practical such as in vehicle installations, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
(UAVs), process control systems in hostile environments or for
AntiLogPro OEM modules in a multi-unit configuration.
Single or Dual Channel Logging
For most data logging applications you will only need to record
RS232 data from a single equipment source (e.g. a GPS receiver).
However, the latest AntiLog V8.0 release offers menu options to log
and playback up to two RS232 data sources at the same time. It's just
like having two single channel AntiLogs in a single box. For dual
channel logging, the RTS/CTS lines on the main serial port connector
become the second serial port. You can configure each port for
completely independent operation (e.g. different baud rates,
filtering, time stamping options, etc). Each port supports it's own
equipment polling and it's response to button pushes during a
Not only is it possible to record from two channels simultaneously,
but you can play back two recorded sets of channel data at the same
time, even in real time. V8.0 also offers saving and retrieving of
complete sets of user options to a named store to allow almost instant
reconfiguration of your units for different trials applications. This
is particularly useful if you share a unit between applications as you
can recall a complete configuration using a single menu option.
If you record two channels of RS232 data using the one AntiLog
unit, the two data streams also share a common time stamping reference
which can be ideal for later data analysis.
Multiple Channel Data Logging
If you need to log a large number of RS232 data sources at the same
time then you can configure multiple AntiLogPro OEM units into one
large multi-unit data logger. Up to a theoretical maximum of 255
AntiLogPro OEM dual channel data loggers can be connected together to
act as one multiple channel data logger. All units are controlled
from a special dedicated multi-unit Auxiliary bus serial port which
can freely command units on the bus to switch between record and
playback modes at any time. Our free AntiTermPro supporting application
includes full support for multi-unit operation in a GUI form.
The Complete Data Logging Solution
All boxed versions of AntiLog come complete with all you need to
get you started. You get an RS232 NULL modem cable (to allow you to
connect AntiLog to a PC or equivalent to upload recorded data), a
printed manual, an Alkaline PP3 battery - and you even get a zip-up
If the equipment you wish to log data from has a serial port
connection designed to fit into a standard PC, simply plug this
instead into AntiLog and you are ready to record the output from the
All AntiLog units now come as standard with an embedded software
bootloader which means you can now receive software upgrades via the
There are various Option Packs available to further extend the
features in AntiLog.
Option 'P' - Forced Power
Starts logging data as soon as power is applied. Stops logging
when power removed. Available for OEM units only. Designed for
power sources in the range 9.5 to 18V (e.g. automotive). The
recommended option for AntiLogPro OEM units used in a multi-unit
Option 'M' - Government and Military GPS Receiver Extension
This option allows easy capture and replay of ICD-GPS-153,
ICD-GPS-150 and similar (ICD-GPS-15x) Government and Military data
The 'M' option provides the following capabilities for the
- Includes all standard functions available in AntiLog.
- ICD-GPS-150, ICD-GPS-153 (ICD-GPS-15x) data stream compatible.
- Message 'autoconnect' feature to automatically request up to 8 user defined message IDs.
- Automatically sends out acknowledgements in response to acknowledge requests.
- LED flash sequence in record mode to show when checksum validated messages are being received.
- Compatible with RS232 output from SPGR, PLGR, DAGR and similar GPS receivers.
- Selectable 'real time' playback of ICD-GPS-15x data.
- Selectable time tagging of all incoming IP messages to 1ms resolution.
- Button pushes (button events), digital inputs and supply voltage can be inserted into data stream as custom IP messages during a trial.
- User defined equipment commands can be issued by button pushes and/or at a user defined repeat period.
- Real time playback can make use of any time tags in the logged data.
- Playback can hide (raw playback) or expand the time stamps into the output stream.
- Time tagging and message events implemented as intelligently inserted custom IP messages.
As AntiLog can log two independent channels of data, you can for
example log two channels of time stamped ICD-GPS-153 data at the same
time with individual messaging requirements, or for example, one
channel of ICD-GPS-153 data and one channel of filtered NMEA (both
with or without time stamping enabled of course).
Option 'G' - GNSS Simulated Receiver Output
Can simulate up to two channels of GNSS (Global Navigation
Satellite System) receiver output at user defined fixed positions
whilst logging data in record mode. Selectable NMEA messages are
transmitted during a recording session with the current time and
date embedded in the output message stream. Can simulate signals
from GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, BeiDou and integrated navigation
Option 'S' - Security Option
Allows a password to be set to prevent unauthorised access to
the menu system to alter configured settings.
Do You Need Ten Or More Units?
For multiple orders, the following price break discounts apply
10 to 24 units
25 to 49 units
50 to 99 units
We are able to supply very much higher quantities as required.
Please contact our distributor below for more details on higher volume pricing.
Purchasing AntiLog and AntiLogPro Units
Limited (based in the United Kingdom) are our approved
international distributor for all of our AntiLog product range.
Please visit the Martelec website where you can purchase units now
or you can contact Martelec about your data logging
requirements. The Martelec shop also hosts a range of high quality
accessories including dedicated cables and power supplies to
support the complete AntiLog product range.
martelec.co.uk and martelec.biz are web domains owned by Martelec Limited, UK
You can contact Anticyclone Systems Ltd at any time by email at email@example.com
Detail may be subject to change without notice. Data applicable to AntiLog embedded software V8.0b
(c) Anticyclone Systems Ltd, 2020